It’s official: We no longer have a pre-schooler. Magnolia sealed the deal on that one when she finished Pre-K back in June. Now we are the proud (and astonished — how did we get here so fast?) parents of a Second-Grader and a Kindergartener. WOW.
I’m looking forward to school starting for the obvious reason — take them, please, NYC DOE! — but a few other things are on my mind, too. Like:
* First grade was big — Jasper learned to read! Wonder what new frontiers second grade will have in store for us?
* Kindergarten is a big transition from Pre-K — much more focus on learning and meeting specific goals, and less on creative play. I hope Magnolia, who’s more than a little fond of managing her own time, can make the change easily. Gulp.
* In keeping with the new frontiers motif, M. has her first loose tooth. Already?! She *just* turned 5! According to the dentist, it’s typical for girls to start losing teeth earlier than boys. Apparently, another thing girls do first. Who knew?
* The kids are going back to school and I’m ready for…. Something else. I don’t know what. At least I’ve identified the need. Now I have to fill in the blank. Easier said than done, but I’m moving in that direction.
Also on my post-birthday To-Do list:
* Exercise more. I’ve actually (sort of) already started this, so hopefully increase it a bit and maintain.
* Cook more. We cook a lot, yes, but I really enjoy it. And I want to do more of it. Also, the moms being adventurous in the kitchen encourages the kids to try new foods. All good.
* Read more.
* Work on knowing when the right thing to say is nothing at all.
* Make more time for myself, and carve out more quality couple time for Chrissy and me.
* Surprise myself.
Well, that should keep me busy for a while!
Ready or not, here it comes.
What’s on your Fall To-Do list? Tell me I’m not alone in having one!