Chrissy and I are excited to tell you about — and if you live in Brooklyn or nearby, invite you to! — a cool event we’ve been working on since last November. And by “working on,” I mean “devoting our lives to.” It’s been fun, but also overwhelming (more on that in another post. Maybe.)
Anyway, on to Touch-a-Truck Brooklyn!
What it is: A fun, exciting event where kids can climb in the driver’s seat of the trucks they see in everyday life — and some unusual ones, too — to “drive” and explore them with the help of the person who brought the vehicle. Admission: $5 a person; kids under two FREE. All proceeds will benefit the arts programs at P.S. 295, The Studio School of Arts & Culture (the elementary school Jasper and Magnolia attend.)
Vehicles scheduled to come include:
* FDNY fire engine
* NYPD police cruiser
* garbage truck
* tow truck
* dump truck
* concrete mixer
* vintage Airstream trailer
* a moving van
* The Truck Farm, a traveling garden and CSA
* The BioBus, a mobile science lab on wheels — sponsored by Target!
* vintage soda truck + other vintage cars from the Brooklyn Antique Automobile Association
* The Chip Shop delivery car, a funky little British ride
* and more!
There will be yummy food, too: Know how popular NYC food trucks have become? Well, we’ll have some of the best on hand selling sweet and savory treats:
* Frites ‘N’ Meats, selling their amazing burgers, fries, and hot dogs
* Country Boys Foods, selling delicious tacos and more — they’re one of the famed vendors from the uber-popular Red Hook ball fields
* The Treats Trucks, selling a variety of yummy sweet treats to please both kids + parents.
Where the idea for Touch-a-Truck came from: As New York City’s public schools face dire budget cuts, parents are looking for new and creative ways to raise money to benefit them. Chrissy and I attended a Touch-a-Truck fundraiser at a school in Connecticut and thought it would be cool to transport the idea to Brooklyn. So, yo — we did!
And we got some generous sponsors on board to help — TAT would like to thank:
Target * Union Market * Greschlers’ Hardware * Stomping Ground Photography * Quadrozzi Concrete * Park Slope Plumbing * Paul Signs * Sidecar * Astoria Federal Savings * Eagle Provisions
So mark your calendar and come join us! With help from others, we’ve worked hard to make this happen for P.S. 295, our children, and kids all over Brooklyn.
Now let’s get down with some big, bad trucks — and awesome food — on April 9! See you there!